Browse by category
- The Work Proof-of-Stake Can’t Doby econoalchemistSaying that Bitcoin could change the code and use less energy is simply wrong, it cannot and it would be worthless without the energy. Without the energy consumption the fair value exchange is broken and Bitcoin becomes a perpetual motion system, maybe that works for games and DeFi. For the problems Bitcoin fixes, energy is required because without it the tenets of Bitcoin (decentralized, permissionless, censorship resistant, neutral, and open) all collapse when energy is removed from the equation.
- WTF is happening in Germany?by econoalchemistHow did Germany go from one of the most advanced nations on earth to fearing wide-spread power outage, supply shortages, and economic devastation? Find out why the grass is always green on the other side when it comes to climate change policies.
- Exclusive look into the Mining Disrupt Conferenceby econoalchemistMonthly News Letter • August 2022 This month’s news letter summarizes five highlights from the recent Mining Disrupt conference. Mining Disrupt was held July 26 through 28 in Miami, FL USA; bringing together nearly 100 exhibitors focused on Bitcoin mining technology and development. The full spectrum of the Bitcoin mining ecosystem could be found in the conference throughout half a million square feet of exhibition space which included two floors of the Miami Airport Convention Center. There were three pass levels, General Admission, VIP, and Whale. The VIP and Whale tickets included perks like free buffet lunches, open bars, and… Read More »Exclusive look into the Mining Disrupt Conference
- Coal Maximalistsby econoalchemistMonthly News Letter • July 2022 The Rocky Mountain Mining Institute held its annual conference June 26-28 in Snowmass, CO this year. There were technical presentations about the state of the coal mining industry, search & rescue training, and Bitcoin. You may not have expected Bitcoin to be on the roster of topics at a coal mining conference but there is a compelling case to orange-pill coal miners and coal-pill Bitcoiners. This month’s news letter aims to provide insight into the current state of coal mining in North America and how Bitcoin mining can be leveraged for efficiency gains. The… Read More »Coal Maximalists
- Stronger grids, one ASIC at a time.by econoalchemistMonthly News Letter • June 2022 As the saying goes; “use it or lose it”, electricity is a commodity that must be consumed as it is produced. Electrical infrastructure requires constant supply, demand, and maintenance. When there is a break-down in one of those three pillars, the whole system is affected. This month’s news letter focuses on the balance required for healthy electrical infrastructure and how Bitcoin mining solves problems that affect everyone connected to it. The Merom Facility The Merom Generating Station in Merom, Indiana USA is a coal powered energy facility owned by Hoosier Energy, who had plans… Read More »Stronger grids, one ASIC at a time.
- The Rise & Fall of BIP119by econoalchemistMonthly News Letter • May 2022 Life comes at you fast, especially in an industry like Bitcoin where there is no central authority to make decisions for the rest of the network. Only 14 days after announcing plans for rolling out a new Bitcoin soft fork, BIP119 author Jeremy Rubin announced he will not be advancing the activation attempt. First, let me be clear: I am not advancing a Speedy Trial(ST) activation of Bitcoin Improvement Proposal-119 (BIP-119) CheckTemplateVerify (CTV) at this time. Jeremy Rubin, on the bitcoin-dev mailing list This month’s news letter gives a high-level overview of what BIP119… Read More »The Rise & Fall of BIP119
- Bitcoin2022 and Five Reasons Mining Has Never Been Hotterby econoalchemistMonthly News Letter • April 2022 Bitcoiners from all around the globe flocked to Miami, FL during the first week of April to attend the Bitcoin2022 conference. From the enormous expo hall featuring more than 220 vendors, to the four dedicated stages with combined seating for 21,000 attendees; there was hardly anywhere one could go without seeing or hearing something about innovations in Bitcoin mining. So why is Bitcoin mining capturing so much attention, it’s just guessing numbers anyways, right? Here’s five reasons Bitcoin mining has never been hotter explained through a few highlights from the conference. Home Mining The… Read More »Bitcoin2022 and Five Reasons Mining Has Never Been Hotter
- COLDCARD & BlackBoxby econoalchemistIntroduction A guide for Bitcoin home miners on setting up their BlackBox and handling their mining rewards in a privacy-preserving manner before going to cold storage. Mining Bitcoin goes hand in hand with self-custody, the miner provides a Bitcoin address in order to receive the rewards and the mining pool pays out to the provided address. This guide aims to demonstrate setting up a new BlackBox install and a few tools that can be used to handle the mining rewards in a way that helps maintain the anonymity gained from mining and sees that through to cold storage. This guide… Read More »COLDCARD & BlackBox
- UpstreamData DIY BlackBoxby econoalchemistThis guide will show you how to use less than $150 in commonly available materials to build an ASIC enclosure that can attenuate the noise by 20dB.
- How we set up a natural gas well for bitcoin mining.by SteveBitcoin mining ‘Hash Generators’ save Alberta producer’s mineral lease.
- Bitcoin mining ‘Hash Generators’ prevent mineral lease expiry.by SteveBitcoin mining ‘Hash Generators’ save Alberta producer’s mineral lease.
- Saving stranded gas: Distributed bitcoin mining to the rescue?by SteveStranded and orphaned gas wells remain a systemic problem for everyone, not just producers. Can Bitcoin mining come to the rescue?
- Case Study: Alberta producer conserves stranded gas and eliminates flare with Ohmm datacenterby SteveDetailing a recent Ohmm bitcoin mining installation used to reduce carbon emissions and eliminate flared gas from a producing oil well.
- Natural gas venting: How Bitcoin solved a 160 year old problem.by SteveBitcoin mining is clean – Steve explains why bitcoin mining is the solution to a natural gas waste problem 160 years in the making!